Building blocks

Hier können Erfahrungsberichte zu Experimenten auch formlos geschrieben werden.

Moderatoren: Moderatoren, Assistenten

andrewtretiakov
Illumina-Mitglied
Building blocks

Beitrag von andrewtretiakov »

PERIODIC TABLE OF THE ELEMENTS BUILDING BLOCKS

A few years ago, I started to make my own element embedded resin blocks with the goal of building the periodic table one block at a time. I know it will take some time and I will be missing samples for quite a few of them but I will spare no effort and continue to do so however long it takes.

I first sealed the samples in a glass ampoule (some under vacuum) and then proceeded to embed or encapsulate them in water clear resin (a polyester/styrene mix casting resin which becomes durable and strong once cured). An exothermic free radical polymerisation reaction occurs when the catalyst MEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone peroxide) is added to the unsaturated polyester/styrene mix resin reactant. During the curing process the polyester chains crosslink with each other to form a harder, more durable, thermo-setting polymer. After approx. 24 hours of curing the blocks look absolutely clear and impressive. The final touch is to engrave the name, symbol and atomic number of each element sample with the laser-cutter.

These are great to pass around and engage students or public/outreach events without the risk of being accidentally dropped or broken. It makes a great addition to the science department at the school where I work and students have the chance to hold mercury (one of my favourites) for example, make observations, admire their beauty as the only liquid metal at room temperature safely without being exposed to its toxicity.

And in case there are any doubts regarding the Neon sample (it may be filled with air for all you know), below are two photos that show the effect of applying a high-voltage from a portable Tesla coil exciting the electrons of the atoms in the ampoule causing them to glow its characteristic red/orange colour.

In addition, I discovered that I can melt gallium inside the block I’ve made due to its low melting point (around 29 °C) simply by placing it in a beaker of boiling water. As you can see from the photo below the sample has moved inside the block.

Some more photos of the blocks:

I only hope you like them and that they inspire you and others to create something beautiful to celebrate this great icon of chemistry.

Best wishes, A
Dateianhänge
Tin block
Tin block
Mercury block
Mercury block
Potassium metal under vacuum
Potassium metal under vacuum
First mercury attempt
First mercury attempt
Gallium
Gallium
Bromine block
Bromine block
Neon 2
Neon 2
Neon 1
Neon 1
Iodine
Iodine
Building blocks
Building blocks
MarbsLab
Illumina-Mitglied

Re: Building blocks

Beitrag von MarbsLab »

An interactive periodic table, what a great idea!

Cheers

Markus
My youtube science channel
Laboratoriumdiscounter.nl Promotion Code: MARBSLAB2024 (10% auf alle Produkte).
Glaskocher
Illumina-Mitglied

Beitrag von Glaskocher »

Are you able to "illuminate" the Neon gas with high voltage or high frequencies? That would be very interesting and proof the original filling.
andrewtretiakov
Illumina-Mitglied

Absolutely Markus!!!

It's a slow process I make about one or two blocks a year if I have the time.

Cheers,
A
andrewtretiakov
Illumina-Mitglied

Yes, I know the photos above are not great quality but the ones with the red glow are the ones with Neon gas ampule being excited by the tesla coil.
Below is a close-up where you can see the tip of the tesla coil touching the block:
Dateianhänge
neon glowing
neon glowing
neon close up.jpeg (36.01 KiB) 1542 mal betrachtet
Antworten